Wednesday, April 16, 2008

We are not declared righteous by our works

Again, I continue to ponder on this subject of justification. This comes up in almost all of my reading and I just again glory in the grace of Jesus Christ.

This are a few lines from the book "When I Don't Desire God: How to fight for Joy" by John Piper

First of all, I have to be legally absolved of guilt and credited with a righteousness that I don't have. That is, I have to be declared righteous in the courtroom of heaven, where God sits as judge, and where I stand condemned by His law. That's what the word justify means: not make just, but declare just.

I think about this and I wonder: how in the world can I, a God hating rebel, I who have broken every law of God ever be declared not guilty? Not only that, but to be righteous...Jesus Christ!

He became my performer of the law. My title in heaven is provided by Christ's obedience. (Piper)

Romans 5:19 "By one man's obedience the many will be made righteous" Not their own obedience! But by Christ's obedience, many will be made righteous!

Justification is by grace alone (not mixed with our merit), through faith alone (not mixed with our works) on the basis of Christ alone(not mingling his righteousness with ours), to the glory of God alone (not ours) (John Piper)

Even though I'm the lawbreaker, He is my righteousness! What a great God and Savior! I could never attain a righteousness fit for Heaven, but by one Man's obedience, I have been declared righteous!! Praise to His name alone!

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written, Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree (Gal 3:13) My curse has been taken care of...

My condemnation has been absolved... Who shall bring a charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died Romans 8:33-34

The righteousness needed that I can not produce
Romans 5:19...By the one man's obedience many will be made righteous...

No comments: